Welcome my fellow passengers

If you feel like your emotions, feelings, entire bodies are cycling on a daily roller coaster, this is your safe place to share, vent, and maybe just help each other find the exit sign to these crazy rides most doctors and therapists refer to as Bipolar II/ a.k.a. Bipolar Depression.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Remember the funhouse mirror?

I remember standing in front of those mirrors at carnivals and fairs and being fascinated by them.  As a kid, I was easily tricked...."Am I really this tall?" "Am I really this short and wavy?"  I liked the tall mirror and hoped I could stay that way...

I'm being tricked again by bipolar.   I am still experiencing much of the rapid cycling or mixed episodes where I go up and down almost constantly within hours or even minutes or have both at the same time.  But sometimes there is a clearer distinction between feeling manic and/or anxious and feeling depressed and hopeless.  I get a lot of racing thoughts and some of them "pop" pretty positively during the manic/anxious times.  I'll start to think "Maybe I am getting better.  Maybe this newest medication is the one.  Maybe I'm really not even bipolar."  And then, the depression and hopelessness drops in again within a few minutes, the cycle starts all over again and I realize "I'm still stuck in this thing."

Part of what I believe is driving these "tricks" is the fact that I'm very anxious about beginning a new partial hospitalization program in August when my insurance approves it.  I have been in a holding pattern for a while now waiting for this and it seems to be finally getting closer and I'm scared.  I have been holding onto strong beliefs and faith that this program will help me, and as it gets closer, I think "What if it doesn't?"  I also am heartbroken about being apart from my kids the last month of summer.  Even though I am struggling right now, I still find pleasure in taking them to the pool and being outside and taking advantage of the warm weather with them.  I worry about the stress and exhaustion it will cause my parents as they take care of the kids all day every day while I'm at the hospital.  I worry about my husband and how my new schedule will impact him.  All of these worries make me question if I should go.  When I experience one of those "up" moments, I'm ready to cancel the whole thing.  Call the hospital and tell 'em I'm not coming.  But then my world or brain crashes and I see how much I need to go.  I can't continue this way.  I owe it to my kids, my husband, my family and me to do everything I can do to manage this disease better.

So, until August, I am going to try to think of those "trick" thoughts like those funhouse mirrors.  They seem real for a moment, but just as the mirrors don't make you stay "tall," the thoughts don't make me stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment